Thursday, November 11, 2010

Huxinting Teahouse, Shanghai

I visited the Yu Gardens area, commonly known as Old Shanghai, though the area is hardly old, for they've renovated the buildings and added fanciful roofs so it may house shops that peddle everything from tourist souvenirs to traditional medicines all in inflated prices. Still, it remains a favourite tourist spot.


By mid-afternoon, I landed myself in Huxinting Teahouse, the oldest teahouse in all of Shanghai. It is located at the center of Yu Gardens Bazaar. It was built in 1784 by cotton merchants, but only became a teahouse in the late 19th century.



Hong mu (red wood)

Again, my obsession with chandeliers

Pigeon eggs which goes great with anything

Dried tofu for RMB 20

This is quite strange, but I did have tea. I had the Dragon Long Tea in a Gaiwan looking so beautiful and delicate that I forgot to document it.


Huxinting Teahouse
Yu Gardens Bazaar
Shanghai, China

1 comment:

  1. "I had the Dragon Long Tea in a Gaiwan looking so beautiful and delicate that I forgot to document it." - Maybe its because you consumed it so fast. Love you Faith!!!

    ReplyDelete