Friday, September 03, 2010

Mickey's Delicatessen in Jupiter Street

It was one of those random days when I was running errands and I needed something to eat, and so I traveled to Mickey's because I heard it is another version of Poco deli. I've been doing some deli rounds these days (no photos, and its mostly Santis, for cold cuts and random sandwiches).

The world deli is actually a North American word (I thought it was Italian!), but stemmed from the German word "delicacies," which gave birth to the word delicatessen, which means some kind of food store. A delicatessen is a half-breed of a fast-food restaurant and a grocery store, although it offers a fresh menu -prepared as you order, which "fresh" ingredients.

I think I will always associate delis with Santis: gentle reminders of Saturday mornings spent with my mom, when we would come in, and buy a few pieces of cold cuts, one or two bars of chocolates (when I'm lucky), and a spoonful sized packaging of Nutella (when I'm really lucky. This was back when Nutella wasn't distributed in groceries yet. So yeah, that long ago)

Lartizan Bread Shop is right inside Mickey's. If I'm not mistaken, they are the same people behind French Baker. They prepare the bread right across the cashier, and well, it was a lazy Tuesday afternoon, huge flies latched themselves on the exposed larger bread!! But still, I couldn't resist a Pain Au Chocolat and a Madeleine, anyway they were stored in a glass case.

Roasted Pumpkin soup for ~Php 190. I liked this, but then I always like pumpkin soup!

Pure Angus Burger - 100% imported Angus Beef topped with Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato and Mustard Sauce served in a Deli Bun for Php 450. This didn't really suit my taste, but maybe it's because I've grown so used to Wagyu. I just ate the bun, the bacon, and half the burger.

Vanilla Gelato for Php 100 for two scoops


Mickey's Delicassen
144 Jupiter Street
Bel-Air 2 Village, Makati City
Philippines
Tel: 632 899 8080

No comments:

Post a Comment